There's nothing more hip than having your own sleeve of tattoos right now. It feels like there's a constant parade of cool girls walking around with beautiful, colorful tattoos covering their arms and thighs — and we want to be friends with all of them. But, as hip as Theresa & I are (or pretend to be), we don't have any tattoos. The reasons are various, but whenever I want a tattoo, I remember a time in my life that I wanted tiny angel wings on my back, really badly (yes, hi, I was 16) and now, 10 years later, I'm very glad I don't have those angel wings.
So for now, we stick to temporary tattoos! Because they're fun, they bring all the nostalgia, and they're perfect for people afraid of commitment (and needles). They're also great to get a feel for a tattoo idea you may have rolling around in your head, but you're the nervous type, like us! And after this week, I just may want an ice cream cone tattoo on my wrist, guys, because it's super cute and why not?
You can, of course, design your own — there's a whole slew of temporary tattoo paper out there (just look at this selection on Etsy, or check out this type that we used)! But we've also made a bunch of fun designs, and we love to share fun with you guys. No real theme besides SUMMER FUN, with things like sunglasses, ice cream, cotton candy, lipstick and of course, a banner that says SNACKS. Get to tattooin'!
- Printable temporary tattoo paper (through Etsy or Amazon, or find them at Michael's)
- Inkjet printer
- Our tattoo designs!
- Wet washcloth or sponge
- Download the printable tattoo designs. Remember, it's backwards so the designs read correctly!
- Load the temporary tattoo paper (sans adhesive paper) into your inkjet printer. Follow the instructions that come with the paper. Print the designs.
- Following the tattoo paper's instructions, take the sheet of adhesive that comes with the paper and adhere it to the printed sheet of tattoos.
- Cut out your favorite tattoos! Be careful to cut closely to the design, as the plasticky adhesive shows up a bit on your skin.
- Peel off the adhesive and stick the tattoo face-down on your skin wherever desired. Apply the wet washcloth or sponge to the back of the design and press firmly for 10-15 seconds.
- Peel away the paper, and admire your new tattoo!
Tips: The temporary tattoo paper from Silhouette really only lasts about a day. The adhesive came off when we hopped in the shower, and the colors also faded and the tattoo got sticky. We just scrubbed it off, but if you want them for a party or an occasion, just plan accordingly with your bathing!
Tattoo designs copyright © Theresa Berens, photos copyright © Katie Currid & Delaney Perez, 2016. All rights reserved.