Can someone tell me how you eat cookie butter? Pretty much every person I've ever asked is just like, "with a spoon." Do people actually put it on anything? Bread? Sweet bread? Sometimes I throw it on graham crackers. But mostly I just eat it straight from the jar.
So to prevent myself from eating it straight from the jar (not that there's anything wrong with that, it just feels dirty), I decided I would get a little creative with my sacred jar of cookie butter. And what better way than to brainstorm things that I love peanut butter in and then just sub out with cookie butter? Thus, this puppy chow/muddy buddy/Chex cereal snack mix was born! It's butterscotch chips instead of chocolate, because that sounds good, right? And then of course a shit ton of powdered sugar, because that's basically the best part. I recommend eating just half the jar of cookie butter and then making this and then never leaving your couch because you won't physically be able to.
- 9 cups Chex cereal (rice or corn or chocolate works)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup cookie butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Measure cereal into a very large bowl (it's a little less than one box). Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine butterscotch chips, cookie butter and butter. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir. Microwave again for 30 second increments until fully melted. Add vanilla and stir it in.
- Pour cookie butter mixture over the cereal, mixing it up as much as you can. Then, in a large food-safe bag (I use a trash bag, or paper grocery bags work great, too), pour the cereal mixture and powdered sugar. Shake it up until it is all mixed evenly and coated.
- Pour cereal over wax paper to cool or place in a bowl. Store in an airtight container.
Photos and text © copyright Katie Currid, 2016. All rights reserved.