You guys might know about our everything bagel obsession. It is so real. We're huge fans of everything bagel + iced coffee combos to power through a particularly rough morning and to feel like we can conquer basically anything.
Well, we've got a new everything bagel combo — because we're teaming this cream-cheese laden baby up with pizza. It's like bagel bites for grown-ups except it's not bite-sized, but it means you can still eat pizza in the mornin', pizza in the evenin', pizza at suppertime. (Sing it with us now!) Because when bagel's on your pizza (flip floppin' here), you can eat pizza anytime!
So, yes, eat this for breakfast and report back.
- Enough pizza dough to make two 12" crusts (I buy mine from Trader Joe's, but of course you're welcome to use your favorite recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon course salt
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 8 oz shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- To make everything bagel seasoning, combine garlic powder, onion powder, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and salt. Stir in small bowl and set aside.
- Thinly slice onions. Coat the bottom of a nonstick skillet with olive oil. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until onions begin to turn golden brown and jammy. Add balsamic vinegar and sugar to onions and reduce until thickened.
- Remove onions from heat and set aside, leaving any remaining oil in the pan. If needed, add another splash of olive oil. Add minced garlic and heat until golden.
- Add panko breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon of everything bagel seasoning to garlic and toast until golden. Set aside.
- In a separate pot on the stove, melt butter for cream cheese sauce. Add flour and whisk constantly until smooth. Add milk and cream cheese, whisking rapidly to avoid clumping. Heat until mixture thickens and bubbles. Add a dash of cayenne pepper, then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven according to pizza dough package instructions. Roll out pizza crusts into 12" circles. Roll a ridge of dough around the perimeter to form the crust, and top the crust with remaining everything bagel seasoning (sans breadcrumbs).
- Divide cream cheese sauce between two crusts, spreading it evenly along the bottom of the pizza, then distribute the caramelized onions evenly between both. Next, top with dollops of ricotta, gruyere cheese and lastly, the toasted everything bagel breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a 475 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Enjoy! We give you permission to eat this for breakfast.
Photos © Katie Currid, text © Theresa Berens & Katie Currid, 2016. All rights reserved.