So I know I always talk about the things Italy doesn't have instead of all the awesome things Italy does have. You know, like friggin' amazing al dente asparagus risotto (new obsession), perfectly handmade pumpkin ravioli with sage, cheeses that I eat by the block, Aperol Spritz that you sip in the sun while stuffing your face with handfuls of plain potato chips, and winewinewine all day every day.
OK, now that that's out of my system and you all hate me (come visit!?), I can talk about how we obviously do not have a Dunkin Donuts anywhere near me and how much I super miss pink sprinkled donuts and toasted everything bagels with stupid amounts of cream cheese. This may seem insignificant, and maybe you think DD's is gross, but if you think that, you probably don't read this blog. And I love donuts and bagels and dozens upon dozens of Munchkin donut holes all year 'round, but especially this time of year, I miss their iced coffee.
And apparently those jerks decided to release a new flavor this summer without waiting for me to return to America, and it's pistachio. Seriously, guys? I would've been all over that.
Since Theresa and I have dubbed this week ~*~ICED COFFEE WEEK~*~ here on the blog, with her inaugural dark chocolate orange iced coffee and our multitude of other cold coffee recipes (we might have a problem), I decided to bring Dunkin Donuts home. There are no pink boxes involved, and I haven't been able to actually taste the beauty that is a Dunkin Donuts pistachio iced coffee, being as the nearest one is like, in Germany, but the Internet is going batshit over this new coffee flavor. So, I looked up all the ingredients and blindly made what I believe to be the closest thing. And even if it's not the same, it's really damn good, and you're going to like it. So get some protein in that coffee and break out the ice cubes, because it's iced coffee season, my fellow basic b's!
for the pistachio simple syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, whole (if they're salted, you may want to rinse them)
for the iced coffee
- 1 cup coffee concentrate (we're huge fans of the Cold Toddy, but this recipe for cold brew concentrate is great, too!)
- 1 cup water or milk
- 1 T sweetened condensed milk
- pistachio syrup, to taste
- ice cubes
- In a food processor, grind pistachios as finely as possible.
- Place a pot on the burner and turn it on high. Combine 3/4 cup water, 3/4 cup sugar and the ground pistachios in the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Strain pistachios out of the syrup mixture using a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth. Discard nut meats or keep them for other projects! Store pistachio simple syrup in an airtight container. Will keep for 2-3 weeks.
- Combine your iced coffee ingredients in a large cup, mixing generously. Add sugar, if you need it super sweet. Enjoy!
Photos and text © Katie Currid, 2016. All rights reserved.