If Pinterest has taught me anything lately, it's that bar carts are the best way to make your boozing ways look cute. But my Brooklyn apartment can't justify any furniture that isn't strictly necessary. Frankly, it's missing some that IS necessary, at least according to the pile of unsorted art supplies taking over a corner of my living room-kitchen combo. Still, a girl can dream.
Despite my lack of space, I've managed to accumulate an impressive array of display-worthy drinking paraphernalia, thanks to family members and friends who have indulged my still-not-totally-dead alternate life plan of becoming a bartender. So for now, I've topped a $7 thrift store sewing machine table (refreshed with a coat of mint green paint) with a tray and and called it a day.
My bar cart might be dry due to space restrictions, but its contents are simply too shiny to remain concealed in the depths of my kitchen cabinets. Plus, said cabinets are far too full to accommodate so many pretty-but-extraneous items. Small space dwellers, rejoice! You can distract visitors from your bar cart's lack of luxurious wheels and storage space with a little sparkle.
The contents of my wannabe bar cart are partially thrifted, partially gifted and, for the most part, relatively easy to acquire:
- MINT GREEN TABLE: Thrift World in Omaha, Nebraska
- VINTAGE PEACH FLORAL TRAY: Brass Armadillo Antique Mall in Omaha, Nebraska
- DRINKOLOGY: THE ART AND SCIENCE OF THE COCKTAIL: available on Amazon
- OLD MAN DRINKS: RECIPES, ADVICE AND BARSTOOL WISDOM: available on Amazon
- GLASS WHISKEY DECANTER: Brass Armadillo Antique Mall in Omaha, Nebraska
- GOLD CHAMPAGNE BOTTLE / DONUT THIRST QUENCHER: purchased at Long's Wine and Spirits in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
- METALLIC PRINT GLASSWARE: available at West Elm
- RECIPE COCKTAIL SHAKER: available on Amazon
- COCKTAIL BITTERS: by The Bitter Truth (Cocktail Bitters Traveler's Set and full-size Grapefruit Bitters)
- MARBLED CLAY DISH: homemade, instructions via a tutorial on A Beautiful Mess
- AMPERSAND BOTTLE OPENER: by Fred and Friends, available on Amazon
- JIGGER: part of 7-piece barware set available at Target
Photos © Ahmad K. Badr, Text © Theresa Berens, 2015